RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 12:07:41 EST

    You misunderstand me. Whilst I have no objection to paying for ADDED
    value, I'm talking about what comes built in, out of the box.

    Consider the literary equivalent. Suppose I went to a library and
    borrowed a book, took it home, and attempted to read it (the real world
    equivalent of viewing a web page). Suppose then, that instead of
    readable characters, a critical math formula was printed as a series of
    "unsupported character" glyphs, and that subsequent exploration revealed
    that the book could only be read if I, the reader (not the publisher),
    were to pay money to the font designer. I would feel (rightly, I think)
    aggrieved.

    You see, I'm not talking about "good" fonts, just "basic" fonts. In
    fact, _/any/_ fonts. Essentially, I expect every character to display,
    albeit poorly, but to display. I expect the operating system to provide
    a fallback font for every character. The Macintosh does exactly this.
    Windows doesn't. That's all.

    Jill