Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: jcowan@reutershealth.com
Date: Tue Dec 02 2003 - 13:45:52 EST

    Arcane Jill scripsit:

    > You see, I'm not talking about "good" fonts, just "basic" fonts. In
    > fact, _/any/_ fonts. Essentially, I expect every character to display,
    > albeit poorly, but to display. I expect the operating system to provide
    > a fallback font for every character. The Macintosh does exactly this.
    > Windows doesn't. That's all.

    The Apple's (or in fact Michael Everson's) Last Resort font, though,
    doesn't provide even bare legibility: all the characters in a given
    script look alike! The most it tells you is what script the characters
    are in, so that you have some clue about what font to install to provide
    legibility.

    --
    H)B�ggledy-p�ggledy / XML programmers            John Cowan
    Try to escape those / I-eighteen-N woes;        http://www.ccil.org/~cowan