RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Arcane Jill (arcanejill@ramonsky.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 07:12:05 EST

    Sigh. What it is to be constantly misunderstood.

    In an earlier email on this thread, Peter Constable said "/So, out of
    the box, Windows XP does not support (e.g.) Sinhalese, or ship with
    Sinhalese fonts. And so, if the next version of Windows does include
    support for Sinhalese and perhaps even ships with one or more Sinhalese
    fonts, that will be added value, right?/". What I was trying to get at
    is that, essentially, I was agreeing with him, that yes, that /would/ be
    added value, and something for which I would expect to pay money. Ditto
    Telugu. But I wasn't suggesting for a moment that it should constitute
    "added value" for those who use it every day as part of /their/ culture.
    For /them/, it should be "out of the box". I stress that I imply /_no_/
    cultural bias. It is my opinion that, regardless of one's culture, the
    symbols you use every day should be the ones which come supplied out of
    the box, and the ones which would be considered rare or esoteric in
    one's own culture should be the ones for which you should be expected to
    pay extra.

    So no, I was not suggesting a bias toward my culture. Rather, I was
    suggesting that the final sentence of my above paragraph should the rule
    in all cultures.

    In short, in any given locale, one should get the symbols of that
    locale, out of the box. (And in my locale, that should include math and
    music symbols). My apologies if that was not clear, but rest assured I
    absolutely am not "ethnocentric". I was merely stating what I think is
    not an unreasonable user expectation for /anyone/, regardless of culture.

    Jill