Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 11:26:34 EST

    Arcane Jill wrote:

    << In short, in any given locale, one should get the symbols of that locale,
    out of the box. (And in my locale, that should include math and music symbols).
    My apologies if that was not clear, but rest assured I absolutely am not
    "ethnocentric". I was merely stating what I think is not an unreasonable user
    expectation for anyone, regardless of culture.>>

    Well in my given locale (London UK) Bengali, Urdu, Gujarati, Punjabi and many
    other languages are common - in some areas of the city more common than
    English. They are definitely part of the local culture. Certainly there are
    more people using these languages here than there are writing music notation or
    complex mathematical formula. I'd be very happy if all software sold here
    supported all these languages "out of the box" - then we could think about
    looking after the composers and mathemeticians.

    - Chris