RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 11:51:50 EST

    From: unicode-bounce@unicode.org [mailto:unicode-bounce@unicode.org] On
    Behalf Of Arcane Jill

    > It is my opinion that, regardless of one's culture, the symbols you
    use
    >every day should be the ones which come supplied out of the box,
    >and the ones which would be considered rare or esoteric in one's own
    >culture should be the ones for which you should be expected to pay
    extra.

    >In short, in any given locale, one should get the symbols of that
    locale,
    >out of the box. (And in my locale, that should include math and music
    >symbols).

    Jill, if MS or any other platform vendor starts to provide fonts for
    music or math symbols in a new version of their software, that will
    constitute added value over the previous version of their software, and
    you'll likely have to pay for it. Maybe that doesn't meet your
    expectations, but AFAIK this has never been a complaint from the
    hundreds of millions of copies of Windows, Mac OS, OS/2, DOS, Linux,
    AIX, CP/M... that have been sold over the past few decades that did not
    provide all these symbols out of the box.

    Peter

    Peter Constable
    Microsoft Windows Division