Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 16:55:03 EST

    Peter Constable <petercon at microsoft dot com> wrote:

    > Jill, if MS or any other platform vendor starts to provide fonts for
    > music or math symbols in a new version of their software, that will
    > constitute added value over the previous version of their software,
    > and you'll likely have to pay for it. Maybe that doesn't meet your
    > expectations, but AFAIK this has never been a complaint from the
    > hundreds of millions of copies of Windows, Mac OS, OS/2, DOS, Linux,
    > AIX, CP/M... that have been sold over the past few decades that did
    > not provide all these symbols out of the box.

    Actually, I've heard lots of complaints -- mostly out of my own mouth --
    that Arial Unicode MS isn't shipped with Windows, but only with Office.
    It would be nice if we could count on all Windows users having at least
    one font (doesn't have to be a really beautiful one) that covers a large
    portion of the BMP. But I've accepted that we can't, and moved on.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/