Re: Free Fonts

From: Deborah Goldsmith (goldsmit@apple.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 15:48:19 EST

    As far as I know there is no legal issue with adding hints to fonts.
    Any legal issue around font hinting is going to relate only to the
    software which takes fonts and produces rendered glyphs on a display
    device, not to the fonts themselves.

    Apple does not ask font developers to pay royalties for anything
    related to font development or distribution. So if you add hints to a
    font, no, you do not owe Apple any royalties, nor is there any other
    legal issue I'm aware of. We *want* people to produce high-quality
    fonts, including high-quality cross-platform fonts.

    Deborah Goldsmith
    Manager, Fonts / Unicode liaison
    Apple Computer, Inc.
    goldsmit@apple.com