OT: Free Fonts

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 16:17:20 EST

    At 10:38 AM 12/3/2003, Raymond Mercier wrote:

    >Philippe Verdy writes
    > > Simple: for now the fonts are in beta, and do not include the hinting
    > > instructions. This may be in development, but faces some legal issues
    > > with Apple patents. So until there's a patent-free hinting mechanism,
    > > for use in fonts, or Apple agrees with a royaltee-free license on
    > > hinting mechanisms, hinted fonts cannot be freely distributed.
    > >
    >What is the legal position if these fonts are taken into Fontlab and
    >rehinted ?
    >
    >Surely if I make my own hinted font in Fontlab I do not owe royalties to
    >Apple.

    No. See my other post on this topic. Phillipe is confusing the patent
    restrictions on rasteriser technology and the unrestricted font instruction
    set that is interpreted by the rasteriser. Note, also, that the patented
    technology involves only a subset of the instruction set, so it is possible
    to build a rasteriser in which type will still get some benefit from
    hinting in the font without infringing Apple's patents. This is what
    FreeType currently ships.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    Theory set out to produce texts that could not be processed successfully
    by the commonsensical assumptions that ordinary language puts into play.
    There are texts of theory that resist meaning so powerfully ... that the
    very process of failing to comprehend the text is part of what it has to offer
                 - Lentricchia & Mclaughlin, _Critical terms for literary study_