OT: FontLab + Python

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 16:32:03 EST

    At 09:29 AM 12/3/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    >What, FontLab is supposed to magically find the text outline glyphs in the
    >font and delete them and replace them by equivalent French translations,
    >spacing, abbreviating, and centring them appropriately and accurately?

    No, you wouldn't be able to apply this retroactively to the existing Last
    Resort font, but if you had conceived the project with multiple localised
    versions in mind you might have used this approach. You would need to be
    able to access FontLab's Vector Paint / Text tool through Python; I'm not
    sure if this is currently possible, but Yuri is pretty good about adding
    features that people ask for. Then you would set up a database or
    spreadsheet with your Unicode range and name data, and probably generate
    from this a comma-separated values input file that Python could interpret
    within FontLab. Basically, the idea would be that FontLab would associate
    strings in the input file with specific glyphs, would activate the Vector
    Paint / Text tool to create the strings, e.g. Unicode block names, as
    outlines based on an existing text font. Positioning such elements is
    probably the easiest part of the whole process. You could also put in and
    appropriate scale sample glyphs from each block, again derived from
    existing fonts, although this might depend on the encoding (I'm not sure
    how well the Vector Paint / Text tool handles non-ASCII).

    None of this is trivial, and I think the programming expense would only be
    justified if you were intending to make substantial use of the script, e.g.
    to make many different localised versions of something like the Last Resort
    font to tailor the script to other, similar projects. The more repetition a
    task involves, the greater the benefit of scripting.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    Theory set out to produce texts that could not be processed successfully
    by the commonsensical assumptions that ordinary language puts into play.
    There are texts of theory that resist meaning so powerfully ... that the
    very process of failing to comprehend the text is part of what it has to offer
                 - Lentricchia & Mclaughlin, _Critical terms for literary study_