Re: Fontasmagoria (was: Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?)

From: Patrick Andries (Patrick.Andries@xcential.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 16:51:30 EST

    ----- Message d'origine -----
    De: "Kenneth Whistler" <kenw@sybase.com>

    > Patric Andries continued:

    Okay, okay I'll keep quite (for a while…)

    > > > The Unicode standard doesn't require Unicode to be printed. A lot of
    > > > the fonts used to print the book are Windows symbols fonts, with the
    > > > code chart-generating code automatically remapping them as needed.
    > >
    > > I didn't mean to imply this, but I believe this indexing is a minor
    effort
    > > when compared to the font drawing aspect and those fonts,
    >
    > True, but...
    >
    > A. Many of these fonts are encumbered with highly restricted licenses
    > and IP agreements enabling use *only* for publication of the standards
    > (Unicode *and* 10646).
    >
    > B. The management of the fonts for the publication of the standards is
    > already a resource-bound task that is somewhat of a QA nightmare and
    > which contributes significantly to the time it takes to produce each
    > new version of the standard. There are no extra cycles here to devote
    > to also trying to repackage and market these fonts for general use,
    > *even if* they weren't encumbered by license agreements.

    I never meant or said this to be a Unicode consortium project, what I
    intended to say is that these basic fonts could not be very expensive for
    *someone* to provide : original font designers that supplied it to the
    Unicode consortium or — for instance — the OS manufacturers licensing them
    from those font designers as more helpful last resort fonts.

    P. A.