Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: D. Starner (shalesller@writeme.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 17:41:24 EST

    John Hudson writes:
    > I disagree. What you describe may be desirable, but in no way is it
    > necessary. What is important to document in a proposal is what is necessary
    > to *encode* text, not to display it.

    0,1. That's all that's needed to encode any script. So why do we have to
    include an image, anyway?

    A lot of the arguments on this list amount to, I have this symbol in my
    text, how do I encode it? In any complex script (or simple script being
    used in a complex way), this may not be obvious from the list of encoded
    entites. If it's not, then there must be some rational way to tell how
    it should be encoded, because having multiple (normalized) encodings for
    the same text makes text handling hard.

    For example, (bad example warning), if we encoded the English alphabet as
    vertical line, upper, middle and lower horizontal lines, half loop and loop,
    then the proposal should show us how to represent all the major entities
    in English text with this. If people come back saying "this says Q should
    be loop + lower horizontal line and we think it should be loop + vertical
    line", then there was a problem with the proposal.

    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
    http://promo.mail.com/adsfreejump.htm