RE: Free Fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:09:26 EST

    Christopher John Fynn writes:
    > "Philippe Verdy" <verdy_p@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
    > > Just visit the impressive resource references collected on:
    > > http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/
    >
    > I notice under the heading "What do we plan to achieve, and
    > how?" on that page
    > there is a list "Free UCS outline fonts will cover the following character
    > sets:"
    > However there are no Indic scripts covered in the list.

    Wrong: Thai and Lao are listed explicitly, but other Brahmic scripts are
    included progressively and implied by the "etc." in the list. Also look at
    this page and you'll see that Indian Brahmic scripts are considered in this
    project with available resources:
    http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/resources.html

    For now there's no resource in East Asian scripts, but they are listed and
    will appear later. Most probably a separate FreeHan font will be designed
    for CJK, but this is a huge work if you consider that the representative
    glyphs are hard to collect and summarize with stroke decomposition rules
    before attempting to create an actual Han font.

    I wonder if the UniHan database for example is accurate for the ideographic
    decomposition into basic strokes. This is something that seems really needed
    to create a good Han font...

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com