Re: Free Fonts

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:19:10 EST

     -----Message d'origine-----
    De : Philippe Verdy [mailto:verdy_p@wanadoo.fr]
    Envoye : jeudi 4 decembre 2003 00:15
    A : John Hudson
    Objet : RE: Free Fonts

    John Hudson writes:
    > At 10:08 AM 12/3/2003, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >
    > >Simple: for now the fonts are in beta, and do not include the hinting
    > >instructions. This may be in development, but faces some legal issues
    > >with Apple patents. So until there's a patent-free hinting mechanism,
    > >for use in fonts, or Apple agrees with a royaltee-free license on
    > >hinting mechanisms, hinted fonts cannot be freely distributed.
    >
    > Sorry, but you really do not know what you are talking about. What cannot
    > be freely distributed are *rasterisers* that make use of Apple patented
    > technology that interpret TT instruction sets. Anyone can make, hint and
    > ship -- freely or for a licensing fee -- a font with a full set of hint
    > instructions. What you cannot do is build a rasteriser that interprets
    > these hints without licensing the technology from Apple.

    This does not seem clear when you look at the claims of the 3 Apple patents:
    the term "rasterizer" is not even used, and what is patented to the method
    to represent these hints. So, unless Apple publishes a legal disclaimer
    about what is really patented, I do think that the situation is quite
    ambiguous, and even creating a hinted font or creating a tool that allow
    making such hinting in a font design may require a license to use the
    hinting method.

    I do think it is dangerous for an open-sourced project to assume that it is
    possible to hint a font that should be freely distributed, as the project
    itself gets no money to pay the distribution licenses.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com