Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:37:27 EST

    On 03/12/2003 14:46, Edward H. Trager wrote:

    >On Wednesday 2003.12.03 19:59:45 -0000, Christopher John Fynn wrote:
    >

    >>>or donate them to a community organization
    >>>like SIL (http://www.sil.org/) or Primož Peterlin's FreeFont project
    >>>(http://www.nongnu.org/freefont/).
    >>>

    >>Ed, SIL is backed by very wealthy Christian evangelists whose purpose is to
    >>translate the Bible and other Christian material into every language. Depending
    >>on your POV you might consider them to be a community organization" or as some
    >>kind of religious imperialists.
    >>

    >Thanks, Chris, I did not know that. I recently saw some good publicity about the
    >author of the Gentium font who I believe works for SIL and that's really all I know
    >about them.

    I was a member of SIL for ten years but never heard anything about any
    "very wealthy Christian evangelists", or saw any of their wealth. One
    purpose of SIL is to advance literacy in minority languages, generally
    working with governments, universities etc in less developed countries.
    Such literacy is of course closely linked to computer support for these
    languages' alphabets, hence the involvement in Unicode and with
    providing fonts.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)