Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:29:29 EST

    On 03/12/2003 13:03, jcowan@reutershealth.com wrote:

    >Christopher John Fynn scripsit:
    >

    >>There may be a few samples of presentation forms & conjuncts in a proposal -
    >>but I've yet to see a proposal for Indic script that contains a comprehensive
    >>set of all the presentation forms required to render all text written in that
    >>script.
    >>

    >In any case that information is language-specific, not merely script-specific.

    Surely if shaping, presentation form etc information is to be encoded in
    a font or rendering mechanism at all, it must be script-specific not
    language-specific. That is one reason why there are quite a number of
    Persian, Urdu etc variant characters in the Arabic script block - they
    cannot be unified with the otherwise identical Arabic characters because
    they have different shaping behaviour.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)