OT: Free Fonts

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 18:34:01 EST

    At 02:40 PM 12/3/2003, Edward H. Trager wrote:

    > > However there are no Indic scripts covered in the list.
    >
    >Hmmm ... I recently downloaded these free fonts and I know that at least
    >the Free Serif
    >font includes glyphs for many Indic scripts.

    Bizarrely, different members of the same family support different character
    sets. So the Free Serif italic font contains some Thai glyphs, but the bold
    and bold italic do not; the bold font includes katakana and hiragana
    glyphs, but the bold italic does not; and so on.

    The Free Sans regular font contains some Bengali and some Oriya glyphs,
    probably just about enough to cover the contents of the Unicode ranges, but
    nothing like enough to actually render text. The fonts seem to be a
    hodge-podge of whatever the makers could find or put together.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    Theory set out to produce texts that could not be processed successfully
    by the commonsensical assumptions that ordinary language puts into play.
    There are texts of theory that resist meaning so powerfully ... that the
    very process of failing to comprehend the text is part of what it has to offer
                 - Lentricchia & Mclaughlin, _Critical terms for literary study_