Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 20:48:54 EST

    Peter

    My message to Edward was off-line and he mistakenly replied to the list.
    Apologies for any misunderstanding.

    The source of my information about SIL being backed by "very wealthy Christian
    Evangelists" was someone who is probably the world's leading expert on
    Himalayan Languages & Professor of Linguistics at one of the most prestigious
    Universities in Europe. He even named some of the patrons.

    While in Bhutan, I met someone from SIL who was visiting there and came to
    visit the department I was working for and he confirmed to me that a purpose of
    SIL was to enable the spread the gospel in minority languages. Of course this
    work also does a huge amount to advance literacy & computing in minority
    languages in less developed countries - and SIL deserves a great deal of credit
    for that. Very few other organisations are freely contributing in the same way
    and probably no one on the same scale.

    If I'm wrong about the motivation of SIL or their patrons, I'm happy to stand
    corrected. Not that there is anything wrong with the motivation I attributed to
    them.

    With best regards

    - Chris

    --