OT: Free Fonts

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 23:01:09 EST

    At 07:01 PM 12/3/2003, Michael Everson wrote:

    >I think the issue is that if people want to use Apple's renderers to
    >display fonts nicely, Apple wants people to pay for that technology. This
    >is independent of what kinds of hinting etc are in the fonts themselves.
    >The alternative is for FreeType to develop its own renderer. But that is
    >just the take I have on it.

    Your take on it is close, but not wholly accurate. The issue is that a
    particular kind of instruction may be included in fonts, and a rasteriser
    that interprets that instruction is using Apple's patented technology. So
    it is not quite so simple as developing your own renderer -- which is what
    FreeType *have* done --: if your renderer actively interprets the
    instructions employing the patented method you are using Apple's
    intellectual property. The instructions in question are really only
    important in controlling diagonal strokes for b/w rendering, but if they
    are present and ignored -- as FreeType currently ignores -- they can cause
    problems with diagonal stem weights and angles in both b/w and greyscale
    rendering. [I'm not entirely sure what the MS CLearType renderer does with
    these instructions: a whole set of x-direction instructions are
    deliberately ignored in ClearType.] I'd be interested to know what
    percentage of fonts actually contain these instructions. I suspect it may
    be the minority of 'super-hinted' fonts like Arial and Times New Roman that
    were developed for maximum screen legibility in b/w rendering. Not all font
    development tools even support these instructions, and for most people it
    is easier to make a font without these instructions than with them.

    Now, surely *that* is more than anyone on this list wanted to know. Can we

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    Theory set out to produce texts that could not be processed successfully
    by the commonsensical assumptions that ordinary language puts into play.
    There are texts of theory that resist meaning so powerfully ... that the
    very process of failing to comprehend the text is part of what it has to offer
                 - Lentricchia & Mclaughlin, _Critical terms for literary study_