Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Frank Yung-Fong Tang (ytang0648@aol.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2003 - 20:05:25 EST

    As long as a product support UTF-8 and pass the test with MES-1, I can
    pretty sure that no code in between strip off any non ISO-8859-1
    characters, regardless they support MES-2 or MES-3.

    Of course, that does not guarantee surrogate characters won't get
    damanaged, but just as someone believe, it will be <1% of efforts for me
    to fix it later, right? :)

    Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 15:38 -0800 2003-12-03, Frank Yung-Fong Tang wrote:
    >
    > >I am encouraging QA to test MES-1 with UTF-8 instead of only ISO-8859-1.
    > >I am encouraging product ship with MES-1 support out of the box instead
    > >of ISO-8859-1.
    > >And if QA wrote their test plan by using UTF-8 and MES-1 and product
    > >claim to supprt MES-1, how far it could be away from "even if not
    > >fully implemented and quality assured in the first release."
    >
    > MES-1 is hopelessly archaic. It's ISO 6937. MES-2 would be the only
    > miminum I could recommend for Europe. And it's not good enough
    > either, which is why MES-3 is block based.
    > --
    > Michael Everson * * Everson Typography * * http://www.evertype.com

    Frank Yung-Fong Tang
    Šýštém Årçhîtéçt, Iñtërnâtiônàl Dèvélôpmeñt, AOL Intèrâçtívë Sërviçes
    AIM:yungfongta   mailto:ytang0648@aol.com Tel:650-937-2913
    Yahoo! Msg: frankyungfongtan