Re: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 07:44:22 EST

    On 03/12/2003 17:05, Frank Yung-Fong Tang wrote:

    >As long as a product support UTF-8 and pass the test with MES-1, I can
    >pretty sure that no code in between strip off any non ISO-8859-1
    >characters, regardless they support MES-2 or MES-3.
    >
    >Of course, that does not guarantee surrogate characters won't get
    >damanaged, but just as someone believe, it will be <1% of efforts for me
    >to fix it later, right? :)

    Doesn't the same apply to any Unicode 4.0 character, except that fonts
    and some special shaping functions (which are a font or rendering engine
    matter anyway) may not be available for some scripts? So we are back,
    more or less, to the concept I had a day or two ago of a system able to
    support the whole of Unicode 4.0 when the necessary fonts are installed.
    But then what about QA of each individual UTF-8 character, which you
    seemed to claim was necessary?

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)