Re: OT (was RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?)

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 06:03:13 EST

    > SIL's involvement in Bible translation is not always widely advertised
    > for various reasons: it is not the only work that SIL is involved in,
    > not all SIL projects involve Bible translation, and in some countries in
    > which SIL works the national agencies (government ministry,
    > university,...) that sponsor SIL's work may not want that aspect of the
    > work to be highlighted. But the connection with work in Bible
    > translation has never been a secret.

    While I have severe objections to the activities of some Christian non-profits,
    and while SILs translations may help such groups, I have to ask, what's so
    wrong with an important work of literature such as the Bible being translated
    into many languages?

    If you are literate in English you can read the Bible, the Qu'ran, the
    Mahabharata, the Upanishads, the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying, the Eddas,
    the Homeric Myths and the Irish Cycles in English as well as scriptures like
    the Book of Mormon or Liber AL vel Legis that were originally written in
    English. I've read about half of those and obviously not all of them caused me
    to convert at the same time!

    I've you can, donate to SIL.