OT (was RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?)

From: Peter Constable (petercon@microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 01:53:16 EST

    I know John's comments were intended to be private, but the point is
    that now they're not. And while he was intending to make a fairly
    specific point, the comments might have been taken by some with broader
    implications than might have been intended. So, I'm going to grab the
    soapbox for a moment to offer some more perspective. [I'm sure most
    people here are aware that I was until recently representing SIL.]

    Anybody can learn about SIL's involvement in support of Bible
    Translation and the fact that SIL is a Christian organization have from
    the SIL web site: these things are clear from the "What is..." page,
    http://www.sil.org/sil/ (this page is linked from the home page).

    SIL's involvement in Bible translation is not always widely advertised
    for various reasons: it is not the only work that SIL is involved in,
    not all SIL projects involve Bible translation, and in some countries in
    which SIL works the national agencies (government ministry,
    university,...) that sponsor SIL's work may not want that aspect of the
    work to be highlighted. But the connection with work in Bible
    translation has never been a secret.

    There is a close relationship between SIL and Wycliffe Bible
    Translators, though they are distinct organizations: WBT is the
    organization that has the primary role in finding resources to enable
    the work of SIL. Most, but not all, monies for SIL's work are raised by
    WBT; other monies come from many other sources, including grants from
    secular or governmental agencies. Most, but not all, SIL personnel are
    seconded from one of several Wycliffe organizations from countries
    around the world on all continents.

    The Executive VP of SIL is also EVP of WBT, and the two organizations
    share a common set of values, though the goals of the two organizations
    are distinct, just as the two organizations are distinct.

    I'm sure there are some very wealthy evangelical Christian sponsors
    that, via WBT, back the work of SIL. Most large non-profit agencies have
    some very wealthy sponsors, and being a Christian organization, one
    should expect there to be wealthy Christian sponsors. (And, as Peter
    Kirk observed, the wealthiness does not extend to SIL's workers; I can
    corroborate that.)

    SIL has had some ideological enemies over the years, but I think only
    those with strongly biased positions would refuse to acknowledge the
    positive contribution SIL has made to the benefit of linguistic
    minorities, to nations, and to the field of linguistics. SIL has been
    responsible for development of national literacy and bilingual education
    in various countries. They have been given honours for their work by
    various national governments. Many authors in the field of linguistics
    have observed that no other organization has done as much to document
    and preserve languages around the world.

    I hope I can give a fair assessment in saying that SIL has also made a
    not insignificant contribution to getting the writing systems of the
    world's languages, particularly those that are lesser known, supported
    in computer systems and in industry standards. Contributions in these
    respects have gone on for at least two decades have included:

    - DOS-based tools for working with custom character sets, including
    design of bitmaps and output on displays and printers, design of input
    methods, customizable sorting, general text processes and text-data
    conversion
    - the Encore Fonts system, which allowed easy development of TTF font
    instances supporting custom Latin, Cyrillic and symbol character sets
    from a sizeable glyph library with several faces
    - the Fonts in Cyberspace Web site
    - tools for development of input methods for Windows (SIL members
    offered significant input and support in the development of the Keyman
    input method creation/management system from Tavultesoft)
    - the SILKey input method development system for Mac OS
    - tools for font development
    - the TECkit encoding conversion system for Windows and Mac OS -- the
    only customizable tool I know of that can be adapted for conversion of
    thousands of legacy encodings used around the world to and from Unicode,
    particularly where legacy encodings have utilized presentation form
    encodings
    - the Graphite complex-script font technology
    - promotion of the Unicode standard, and contribution to the development
    of Unicode and other related industry standards that facilitate
    multilingual computing
    - advocacy to industry of the needs of writing systems from the world's
    lesser-known languages
    - development of fonts for many different scripts, supporting literally
    thousands of the world's languages

    All of these efforts have been funded by SIL for the benefit of the
    world's language communities; almost all of these resources have been
    made readily available at no cost to user communities; and all with no
    preference or bias based on religion, race or nationality of the user
    communities.

    So, if someone has a quality font for one of the less-well-supported
    scripts of the world (or even one of the better-supported ones) and is
    considering donating it to SIL so that it can be made more widely and
    readily available, I think that is something that could certainly bring
    benefit to peoples around the world, without regard to religion or any
    other distinguishing traits.

    Peter Constable