Re: OT (was RE: MS Windows and Unicode 4.0 ?)

From: John Cowan (cowan@mercury.ccil.org)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 08:57:15 EST

    Peter Constable scripsit:

    > So, I'm going to grab the
    > soapbox for a moment to offer some more perspective. [I'm sure most
    > people here are aware that I was until recently representing SIL.]

    Here are a few links giving different viewpoints:

    http://www.publiceye.org/research/Group_Watch/Entries-119.htm (negative,
    quite old)

    http://136.142.158.105/Lasa2000/Hartch.PDF (outsider viewpoint, fairly
    positive)

    I was interested to learn that the Tok Pisin name of SIL is Institut
    bilong Tok Ples, or the Institute of Local Languages; and to discover
    why it's called the _Summer_ Institute (after the original summer
    training programs; I had always assumed Summer was a founder or sponsor!).

    --
    Only do what only you can do.           John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
      --Edsger W. Dijkstra,                 http://www.reutershealth.com