Re: Supporting the Unicode Project

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Thu Dec 04 2003 - 19:51:54 EST

    At 10:22 -0800 2003-12-04, Peter Kirk wrote:

    >Incidentally, SIL is able to receive tax deductible donations in
    >many countries, not just the USA. This can be targeted to specific
    >projects such as the Non-Roman Scripts Initiative, and so need not
    >be lost in a general pool of support for Bible translation.

    With all due respect, the SIL is a large organization with
    considerable sources of funding, full-time staff, and so on. The SEI,
    on the other hand, exists to try to support the preparation of
    proposal for encoding new scripts and characters in the standard. The
    SEI needs the support of readers of this list more than SIL does, if
    anyone is thinking of making a donation.

    >If Michael or anyone else has software, fonts etc from which they
    >have no intention or expectation of earning money by selling them,
    >they lose nothing by giving them away, and gain a lot of goodwill
    >and possibly even donations e.g. to SEI from grateful users.

    Doing the work of encoding the missing scripts isn't enough to
    attract donations? Realizing that one is helping the Unicode Project,
    helping to enable the encoding of the written history of our species,
    isn't enough?