Re: Unihan kKorean pronunciations

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 13:20:02 EST

    I checked with Lee Collins (who's the person who put the data in there
    originally). Quoth'a:

    It's called Yale, since it appears in a number of Samuel Martin's works
    published by Yale Press. It's well documented and the closest to the
    way the hangul are formed and spelled. It's not as good for
    transcribing running text, though, since there are problems with
    syllable boundaries.

    On Dec 5, 2003, at 9:11 AM, Andrew C. West wrote:

    > Does anyone know what is the system of transliteration used for the
    > kKorean key
    > in the Unihan database ? The notes at the top of Unihan.txt simply
    > state that
    > kKorean gives "The Korean pronunciation(s) of this character".
    > However, the
    > readings are in some strange orthography that I am not familiar with.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com