Re: Unihan kKorean pronunciations

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 15:17:16 EST

    On Fri, 5 Dec 2003, John Jenkins wrote:
    > On Dec 5, 2003, at 9:11 AM, Andrew C. West wrote:
    >
    > > Does anyone know what is the system of transliteration used for the
    > > kKorean key
    > > in the Unihan database ? The notes at the top of Unihan.txt simply
    > > state that
    > > kKorean gives "The Korean pronunciation(s) of this character".
    > > However, the
    > > readings are in some strange orthography that I am not familiar with.

      For the nice summary of various transliteration/transcription schemes
    for Korean, see

      http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~ez3k-msym/charsets/roma-k.htm

    As you can see, ROK MOE (198?) scheme was (almost) identical to
    McCune-Reischauer scheme (that I like most), but it was replaced by a
    new scheme in 2000. See also

      http://asadal.cs.pusan.ac.kr/hangeul/rom/ts11941/index.html (ISO TR 11941)
      http://www.korean.go.kr/search/grammar/rule/roma_rule.html
       (the current ROK standard, Ministry of Culture and Tourism :
        it's mainly for transcription, but at the end - article 8 -
        the transliteration scheme is spelled out)

    IIRC, the original draft of TS 11941 (jointly submitted by DPRK and ROK)
    was closer to Yale scheme and there was a pretty widely-used Romanization
    filter (for reading Korean materials at a non-Korean text terminal) in the
    early 1990's based on the draft. However, it seems like the draft
    appears to have changed quite a lot before it became TS 11941.

    > I checked with Lee Collins (who's the person who put the data in there
    > originally). Quoth'a:
    >
    > It's called Yale, since it appears in a number of Samuel Martin's works
    > published by Yale Press. It's well documented and the closest to the
    > way the hangul are formed and spelled. It's not as good for
    > transcribing running text, though, since there are problems with
    > syllable boundaries.

      As he wrote, it's good as a transliteration scheme, but certainly
    is not a transcription scheme. It'd be better if the same
    transliteration scheme had been used in Unicode Hangul syllable
    names and UniHan DB.

      Jungshik