Re: Missing African Latin letters

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 17:50:19 EST

    At 10:36 +0100 2003-12-05, Philippe Verdy wrote:
    >Some letters used in Latin transcription of Pan-Sahelian scripts are still
    >missing in Unicode:
    >Is there a proposal to include them, as they are needed for case folding and
    >capital transcrtiption?
    >
    >I can identify immediately these two ones that would be needed on
    >Pan-Sahelian keyboards:
    >
    >U+027E LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK
    >U+???? LATIN CAPITAL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK
    >
    >U+0266 LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH HOOK
    >U+???? LATIN CAPITAL LETTER H WITH HOOK

    Looking at the International Niamey keyboard layout given at
    http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&item_id=IntlNiameyKybd
    it can be observed that, of the set of letters used, four of them do
    not have capital forms:

    U+0251 LATIN SMALL LETTER ALPHA
    U+0266 LATIN SMALL LETTER H WITH HOOK
    U+0273 LATIN SMALL LETTER N WITH RETROFLEX HOOK
    U+027E LATIN SMALL LETTER R WITH FISHHOOK

    In addition, but perhaps problematic, is the use in Niamey orthography of

    U+02C0 MODIFIER LETTER GLOTTAL STOP

    which may also case in principle in Africanist use. On this list we
    have discussed the relation of

    U+0294 LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL STOP

    with an x-height *LATIN SMALL LETTER GLOTTAL STOP used in Athapascan.

    What shall we do? Research seems required. ;-)