RE: Glottal stops (bis) (was RE: Missing African Latin letters (bis))

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Fri Dec 05 2003 - 21:00:06 EST

    At 17:39 -0800 2003-12-05, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >Peter,
    >
    >> For those situations in which unmarked-case glottal has been used, I
    >> think it would cause the least confusion to leave 0294 as a cap-height
    >> glyph, and call it upper case.
    >
    >I don't have time to argue this out today, but it is wrong,
    >wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
    >
    >Oh, by the way, did I say it was wrong?
    >
    >I'll try to argue the case in detail Monday.

    Take into consideration the innovation: a short glottal has been
    added because people wanted to case it like other letters. They might
    have made another typographic choice: they might have innovated a
    wide capital to distinguish it from the "lowercase tall" letter. But
    they didn't.

    It would be nice to see texts and to have a local expert's view.