Re: Glottal stops (bis) (was RE: Missing African Latin letters (bis))

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Sat Dec 06 2003 - 23:28:17 EST

    On 12/05/03 21:00, Michael Everson wrote:

    > At 17:39 -0800 2003-12-05, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
    >
    >> Peter,
    >>
    >>> For those situations in which unmarked-case glottal has been used, I
    >>> think it would cause the least confusion to leave 0294 as a cap-height
    >>> glyph, and call it upper case.
    >>

    >> I don't have time to argue this out today, but it is wrong,
    >> wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.
    >>
    >> Oh, by the way, did I say it was wrong?
    >>
    >> I'll try to argue the case in detail Monday.
    >

    > Take into consideration the innovation: a short glottal has been added
    > because people wanted to case it like other letters. They might have
    > made another typographic choice: they might have innovated a wide
    > capital to distinguish it from the "lowercase tall" letter. But they
    > didn't.

    Height is a (the?) recognized distinction between upper and lower case.
    Width isn't. So a "wide capital" wouldn't be the most intuitive choice.

    What Ken says makes sense: lowercase is dominant, by far. Something
    that's caseless (in a script that otherwise has case) which suddenly
    acquires case has to be considered lowercase, since that's how it was
    used all along.

    > It would be nice to see texts and to have a local expert's view.

    Yeah, but then we couldn't have the fun of arguing and making up stuff. :)

    ~mark