Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 08:57:04 EST

    Hi Mark, All,

    > I also agree, but I point out that the sufficiently perverse could come
    > up with some pretty tough examples. Applying color is a pretty benign
    > style, but what if I wanted a boldface circumflex on a normal letter?
    > Or even more obnoxious, a 10-point circumflex on a an 8-point letter?
    > These could be tricky to compute.

    Please have a look at the examples. This isn't a parallel to
    accents. The Tamil vowels and consonants in questions are
    clearly distinct side by side. They could have been styled using
    a mechanical typewriter by double-striking, underlining or
    switching to the second color. Individually.

    > if you ask the system to do bizarre things, it's your own fault (while
    > applying color is not quite so bizarre).

    Emphasizing a single letter isn't bizarre. It is often used in educational
    material.

    Please consider the analogy of 'th' being considered a unbreakable
    conjunct in English and any attempts to style only the 't' or
    only the 'h' failing with differing results.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi