Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 08:43:15 EST

    Hi Jungshik, All,

    > [..] Anyway, he
    > should have used 'lang' tag to help browsers pick up fonts. In two
    > pages above, simply adding 'lang="ta"' to <table ....> would suffice.

    But I assume (and tested), that language tagging doesn't help
    Mozilla in rendering the 'styled' example.

    And, unfortunately, language tagging the TSCII version interferes with
    the font hack to correctly display TSCII pages. If you want to able to see
    TSCII and Unicode Tamil pages, Mozilla's font setup must associate a
    Tamil Unicode font with 'Tamil' and a Tamil TSCII font with 'User Defined'.

    There is some mixup of lang and encoding tagging, which I didn't fully
    understand.

    > > This is browser behavior, not word processor behavior, and certainly not
    > > an inherent defect in the Unicode logical-order model. Display engines
    > > need to do a better job of applying style to individual reordrant
    > > glyphs, that's all.
    >
    > You're right. Anyway, this is an interesting challege to
    > layout/rendering engines.

    Then you consider
    to be valid input, which ideally should render as intended?

    From a processing point of view, it is somehwat challenging,
    as you may have to parse through lots of markup, until
    you know what to do with the 0BB2.

    As I've understood from other posts, the font support for
    all this is theoretically available, but not often done in practice.

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi