Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Peter Jacobi (peter_jacobi@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 09:08:50 EST

    Hi Doug, All,

    "Doug Ewell" <dewell@adelphia.net>:
    > This is browser behavior, not word processor behavior, and certainly not
    > an inherent defect in the Unicode logical-order model. Display engines
    > need to do a better job of applying style to individual reordrant
    > glyphs, that's all.

    I've already agreed to the second sentence. But further tests
    of the first sentence vote for pessimism:

    Lowly Wordpad and Open Source Abiword won't be
    able to style individual Tamil Unicode characters -
    but you can use them in the old-style hackish way for
    TSCII and then you can of course style individual
    characters.

    Then I downloaded WorldPad from SIL and specially hinted
    "Code2000 Tamil Graphite" font for this program. But this
    still doesn't work for styling individual Tamil characters.

    Other (hopefully positive) test results most welcome!

    Regards,
    Peter Jacobi