Re: Fwd: Re: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Sun Dec 07 2003 - 10:19:06 EST

    On 12/07/03 08:55, Peter Jacobi wrote:

    >Hi Mark, All,
    >

    >>I also agree, but I point out that the sufficiently perverse could come
    >>up with some pretty tough examples. Applying color is a pretty benign
    >>style, but what if I wanted a boldface circumflex on a normal letter?
    >>Or even more obnoxious, a 10-point circumflex on a an 8-point letter?
    >>These could be tricky to compute.
    >>

    >Please have a look at the examples. This isn't a parallel to
    >accents. The Tamil vowels and consonants in questions are
    >clearly distinct side by side. They could have been styled using
    >a mechanical typewriter by double-striking, underlining or
    >switching to the second color. Individually.

    Yes, I agree. The discussion had moved farther afield, though, to the
    general case of styling combining sequences, so I was exploring other
    combining sequences that are or could be pathological.

    >>if you ask the system to do bizarre things, it's your own fault (while
    >>applying color is not quite so bizarre).
    >>

    >Emphasizing a single letter isn't bizarre. It is often used in educational
    >material.

    No, but changing font size between a letter and a diacritic is.

    (and now I contradict myself with a counterexample. In
    http://omega.enstb.org/yannis/pdf/biblical-hebrew94.pdf, Yannis
    Haralambous notes--correctly--that when typesetting the Hebrew Bible,
    letters that are written small hang from the top line and have
    normal-sized vowels below them (and the vowels are below the baseline of
    the normal text))

    ~mark