Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 05:54:04 EST

    On 07/12/2003 17:40, Doug Ewell wrote:

    >Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:
    >

    >>Well, this is W3C's problem. They seem to have backed themselves into
    >>a corner which they need to get out of but have no easy way of doing
    >>so.
    >>

    >Only if this issue of applying style to individual combining marks is
    >considered a sufficiently important text operation do they "need to get
    >out of" this so-called corner into which they have supposedly backed.
    >
    >There are plenty of things one can do with writing that aren't supported
    >by computer encodings, and aren't really expected to be. ...

    It seems that Tamil users expect computers to be able to do what they
    could do with their manual typewriters, write vowels in a different
    colour from consonants. For that matter Hebrew and Arabic users probably
    want to be able to do the same (and the vowel colour may be "invisible").

    But this is of course a matter between users of XML etc and W3C, and not
    an issue for Unicode.

    >"Without decompositions"? What about the canonical equivalence between
    >jamos and syllables described in Section 3.12? What about the algorithm
    >to derive the canonical decomposition shown on page 88? What am I
    >missing here?

    I may have missed or misunderstood the details, but it has been clearly
    stated here in the last few days that (a) there are more than 11,000
    redundant Korean characters in the BMP, and (b) many precomposed Korean
    characters lack canonical or even compatibility decompositions which
    would be desirable.

    >You encode a character that violates your principles and existing
    >encoding models, and we'll break the promises we made to users to
    >maintain normalization stability. Sounds like a great political
    >compromise to me.

    Yes on the latter part, if the users to whom the promises were made
    don't actually want stability of errors!

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)