Re: Coloured diacritics (Was: Transcoding Tamil in the presence of markup)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 11:37:19 EST

    Peter Kirk <peterkirk at qaya dot org> wrote:

    > I may have missed or misunderstood the details, but it has been
    > clearly stated here in the last few days that (a) there are more
    > than 11,000 redundant Korean characters in the BMP, and (b) many
    > precomposed Korean characters lack canonical or even compatibility
    > decompositions which would be desirable.

    Jungshik has been saying for years now that (a) the 11,172 precomposed
    syllables are redundant, since they can all be easily decomposed into
    jamos. He also said recently that (b) the jamos that represent doubled
    sounds or "letter clusters" had compatibility equivalences in Unicode
    2.0, but these were subsequently removed, and that this too was a
    mistake.

    So there are (a) 11000+ redundant Korean characters, and there are (b)
    Korean characters without decompositions. But there are not (a × b)
    "11000+ redundant Korean characters without decompositions."

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/