Re: New symbols (was Qumran Greek)

From: Mark E. Shoulson (mark@kli.org)
Date: Mon Dec 08 2003 - 19:58:57 EST

    On 12/08/03 18:21, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >And not complete. That is simply the draft for the PDAM
    >(preliminary draft amendment) to 10646. It will be subject
    >to national ballot comments, which will, no doubt, result
    >in further additions, as well as some minor modifications to
    >what is currently there. And then it will go to *another*
    >round of ballotting after that, the FPDAM ("F" for final),
    >where more changes could happen.

    So it's a "Final Preliminary Draft Amendment"? And then eventually the
    "We Really Mean It, This Is *It* Preliminary Draft Amendment"? And THEN
    maybe it gets out of preliminary and all the way to "draft"?? Wow. The
    wheels sure turn slowly.

    Kind of like a white Black Mariah or a blue RedHerring...

    >Only after *that* will the UTC feel confident that the
    >dust has settled enough to standardize the results as
    >Unicode 4.1. Don't be expecting any of this to be
    >final this year, or even *next* year. The next character
    >additions to the Unicode Standard are likely to be
    >published in early 2005.

    Wow.

    ~mark