Re: Text Editors and Canonical Equivalence (was Coloured diacritics)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 11:33:06 EST

    Arcane Jill wrote:

    > The intention of canonical equivalence is that the glyphs should
    > display the same - otherwise we'd need precomposed versions of, well,
    > everything.

    The intention of canonical equivalence is that *all* operations that
    involve "interpreting" the text treat two canonically equivalent strings
    the same. This is by no means limited to display.

    One of the first things that surprised me when I was first learning
    about Unicode in 1992 (from the big softcover 1.0 books) was how much
    attention was paid to processing issues. Topics like bidirectionality,
    backing store, sorting and searching, and what became known as the
    "character-glyph model" were all discussed. It was a real eye-opener
    for me to see a formal character standard that didn't just treat
    characters as something to be typed, displayed, and printed.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/