RE: Qumran Greek

From: Philippe Verdy (verdy_p@wanadoo.fr)
Date: Tue Dec 09 2003 - 18:27:40 EST

    Michael Everson wrote:
    > At 13:34 -0800 2003-12-08, Elaine Keown wrote:
    > >I include 2 Qumran symbols that are probably Greek.
    >
    > Obviously it's impossible to tell from two tiny gifs....
    >
    > >I'm looking for help with the large 'X'.
    >
    > I would guess that the first of your symbols, if Greek, is a
    > PARAGRAPHOS or a FORKED PARAGRAPHOS. It's also used in Coptic.
    >
    > The X looks like a CHI of course.

    I had the same feeling when I replied to Elaine that this may be an
    annotation added by a Coptic scribe within the Hebrew text. But it was hard
    to guess if this was the case. Coptic religious have made extensive studies
    in Egypt related to ancient texts in Hebrew, and it's quite natural that
    they may have mixed their own annotations in Coptic in the margin of the
    original Hebrew texts.
    It's exactly similar to annotating today a Han text with notes in English.
    So I'm not sure it needs a specific encoding, as this may just be a shift
    from one script to another.
    Elaine could look within her copy of the whole text if there are not other
    occurences than just single symbols, i.e. added words, in the margin of the
    text.

    << ella for Spam Control >> has removed Spam messages and set aside
    Newsletters for me
    You can use it too - and it's FREE! http://www.ellaforspam.com