Re: XML based mapping files.

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 01:04:23 EST

    Shubhagam Gupta wrote:

    > I am trying to Implement Unicode Technical Report, UTR 22 and I have
    > a few questions about this specification. Since this specification is
    > normative, XML must be the way to go when including local encoding to
    > unicode mapping files in your application, this requires conversion of
    > existing mapping files to XML form.

    No Unicode Technical Report is normative in the sense that one must
    follow it in order to conform to the Unicode Standard. (If it were, it
    would be a Unicode Standard Annex.) UTRs contain additional information
    on the use of Unicode in certain environments, or guidelines for the use
    of Unicode with other standards.

    In particular, UTR #22 does *not* require existing mapping tables to be
    converted to XML. It provides an appropriate XML-based format for
    mapping tables, along with other suitable guidelines for things like
    fallback assignments. But there is no requirement to convert existing
    tables, and in fact the "official" tables available on the Unicode FTP
    site continue to be available in the plain-text "Format A."

    > Have other application enforced this conversion to their mapping
    > files. Is there a tool which could be useful in doing the conversion
    > or it can only be done manually? ICU have extensive repository of XML
    > based mapping files, but does any other reference source for XML
    > formatted mapping files or the alias table exists, apart from ICU. ?

    I don't know of any such tools, but there is a possibility that
    something could be put together using ICU. Indeed, while UTR #22
    contains plenty of good material, I tend to think of it as public
    documentation of a format used by ICU and probably few others.

    BTW, anyone catch the error in section 4.2.1 of this UTR?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/