Re: XML based mapping files.

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Wed Dec 10 2003 - 11:30:48 EST

    Gupta, Shubhagam <Shubhagam dot Gupta at ca dot com> wrote:

    > Thank you for your clarification. It's clear that existing
    > applications with mapping files do not require conversion to XML-based
    > format, in order to conform to Unicode. I am curious however; would
    > you consider XML-based format as the preferred format for future
    > developments, rather than adopting the plain-text "Format A."
    > available at Unicode website?

    XML is probably the best format for future development in all kinds of
    situations involving data. I confess that I haven't implemented UTF #22
    or much else in XML, because up to now my XML tools have been poor or
    nonexistent. However, that should change in the future as I move into
    .NET programming at work.

    It's too bad I was never able to find even a semi-formal definition of
    Format A, just the sample files.

    > Can you also elaborate about the error in section 4.2.1 of UTR 22.

    It's minor:

     <!-- 2 byte form -->
     <legal type="FIRST" s="C0" e="DF" next="final" />
     <legal type="final" s="80" e="BF" />

     <!-- 3 byte form -->
     <legal type="FIRST" s="DF" e="EF" next="prefinal" />
     <legal type="prefinal" s="80" e="BF" next="final" />

    These ranges are overlapping. The second "DF" should be "E0".

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California
     http://users.adelphia.net/~dewell/