Re: [tibex] Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Sun Dec 14 2003 - 12:22:17 EST

    The swastika is the main symbol of the Bonpo religion followed in Tibet and
    surrounding regions. Banning the swastika to a Bonpo would be like banning the
    cross symbol to a Christian, the star of David to a Jew, or the crescent moon
    and star to a Muslim. It is also an important symbol in Hinduism & Buddhism.
    If it is OK to include the star of David, various Christian crosses, the wheel
    of Dharma, and other religious symbols in a symbol font then this symbol should
    also be allowed. Or maybe Microsoft should produce a utility to selectively
    remove all symbols which might offend somebody or another. Anyway the swastikas
    used in Asia as religious symbols are usually not rotated at 45 degrees as the
    nazi swastika was.

    http://www.tibetanbon.com/

    http://www.bonfoundation.org/

    http://www.tibet.com/Buddhism/bon.html