Re: [Fwd: Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?]

From: Tom Emerson (tree@basistech.com)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 07:54:42 EST

    jon@hackcraft.net writes:
    > Quoting "Mark E. Shoulson" <mark@kli.org>:
    >
    > > However, now that you mention it, it is true that the stylized S used in
    > > the abbreviation for the SS was actually required in all fonts by the
    > > Nazi government, so by that reasoning it, at least, has some standing
    > > for being encoded (though I can't say I feel any great desire to see that).
    >
    > Apparantly that S is the Futhark rune Sigel, encoded at U+16CB.
    [...]

    Holocaust scholars wanting to encode German documents from the 1930s
    and 1940s would want the double runic S encoded, since this was a
    specific character found on type-writers of the era and saw regular use.

    A proposal to encode this was shot down a few years ago, however.

        -tree

    Software Architect                                 http://www.basistech.com