Re: [Fwd: Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?]

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 08:42:11 EST

    > Holocaust scholars wanting to encode German documents from the 1930s
    > and 1940s would want the double runic S encoded, since this was a
    > specific character found on type-writers of the era and saw regular use.

    Would <U+16CB> <U+16CB> be a reasonable substitute?

    I mentioned that Sigel is avoided by some who use the Futhark symbolicly.
    Doubling it is obviously avoided even more. There is a practice of mirroring
    the second rune in a word if it is the second of a double letter (like the 'l'
    in 'hello'). I've wondered of late if this has any origin in how they would
    have originally been written (I've heard of entire lines being mirrored, such
    as on the Franks Casket, but not individual characters) or if it was a post-war
    innovation to deliberately avoid writing SS.

    --
    Jon Hanna                   | Toys and books
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/> | for hospitals: