Re: [Fwd: Re: Swastika to be banned by Microsoft?]

From: Thomas Chan (tc31@cornell.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 15 2003 - 12:21:05 EST

    On Mon, 15 Dec 2003, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

    > > Is this like baseball scoreboards showing the third consecutive
    > > strikeout symbol (which is a K) reversed? Is that to avoid "KKK" or
    > > is it for another reason?
    >
    > Which of course begs the question of whether we should encode a "LATIN
    > CAPITAL REVERSED K" character.

    How about getting a "taboo variation indicator", like the ideographic one
    proposed in WG2 N2475
    (http:://anubis.dkuug.dk/JTC1/SC2/WG2/docs/n2475.pdf)?

    Then one can also represent the Nazi swastika (if it were encoded) the way
    it is shown on censored products (e.g., model kits, toys/games, etc.),
    shorn of its arms so it looks like an "x", or replaced with the black
    cross (shown on aircraft of the period).

    Thomas Chan
    tc31@cornell.edu