RE: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 10:19:09 EST

    Quoting Arcane Jill <arcanejill@ramonsky.com>:

    > > Do we have Unicode DNS yet?
    >
    > Yup. You can put Chinese letters in domain names now. You do it like this:
    > (1) Convert to NFC
    > (2) Encode in UTF-8
    > (3) Replace all reserved characters (space, %, etc.) with the three
    > character string "%hh" (where hh is hex for the substituted character)
    > (4) Now similarly replace all bytes > 0x7F with the three-character
    > string "%hh" (where hh is hex for the substituted character)

    I know that this is done with Internationalised URIs, but does this work in the
    domain portion as well? I thought the DNS rules still prohibited it, although
    the URI rules don't - the inverse to how URIs are case-sensitive but the DNS
    portion isn't treated as such when dereferencing.

    Eventually, you're left with only one choice - to advise the user:
    > "Never click on a hyperlink. Instead, always type in the URL by hand".
    > Trouble is, such advice is more trouble than it's worth, and would kill
    > the fluidity of the internet.

    Or click on whatever hyperlinks you like, but have the hatches battened down
    and don't assume you are where you appear to be.

    I like to summarise security advice thusly: "if you trust my advice on security
    you're starting with completely the wrong attitude" :)

    --
    Jon Hanna                   | Toys and books
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/> | for hospitals: