Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: John Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Tue Dec 16 2003 - 10:39:27 EST

    On Dec 16, 2003, at 4:27 AM, Michael Everson wrote:

    >>> Don't do that.
    >>
    >> What? This is VALID UNICODE to have texts coded like this.
    >
    > In Irish, it is INCORRECT to spell "físeán" 'video' with a DOTLESS I +
    > COMBINING ACUTE. It is a spelling error, and will fail in
    > spell-checking. The correct spelling is either I + COMBINING ACUTE or
    > precomposed I WITH ACUTE.

    Michael is, of course, correct. The problem here is that in books on
    Latin typography from the not too distant past, such as those by Robin
    Williams (the other one), recommend using dotless-i + accent for
    precisely this reason that the dot would otherwise collide with the
    accent. Ms Williams was working in an environment, however, where all
    kinds of hacks were needed for non-international software like Quark to
    do the fancy stuff typographers wanted to do. A lot of the old
    typography tricks are being obsoleted by Unicode,
    OpenType/AAT/Graphite, and should no longer be adhered to.

    ========
    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com