Re: Case mapping of dotless lowercase letters

From: Peter Kirk (peterkirk@qaya.org)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 05:49:26 EST

    On 16/12/2003 14:59, Kent Karlsson wrote:

    >Peter Kirk wrote:
    >

    >>If the Swedish registry allows all the letters used in Swedish and Sami,
    >>and far eastern registries allow Chinese characters, the Turkish and
    >>Azerbaijani registries should allow, and be allowed to allow, all the
    >>letters of the alphabets of their national languages.
    >>

    >Note that ß (sharp s) casefolds to ss, and ſ (long s) casefolds to s. So
    >"straße", "straſse", and "strasse" also both map to the same ("strasse")
    >subname.

    The difference here is that Germans recognise ss and sharp s as variant
    spellings in the same words, whereas in Turkish i and dotless i are
    quite different letters, just as in Swedish, Turkish and German o and o
    umlaut are quite different letters. I know Germans tolerate o umlaut
    written as oe, but I don't think Turks do. But surely the whole point of
    getting away from ASCII-only domain names is to respect national and
    language-specific alphabets. What is needed for Germany and Sweden
    should not be denied to Turkey.

    --
    Peter Kirk
    peter@qaya.org (personal)