RE: [OT] CJK -> CJC (Re: Corea?)

From: jon@hackcraft.net
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 06:30:36 EST

    Quoting Marco Cimarosti <marco.cimarosti@essetre.it>:

    > Doug Ewell wrote:
    > > I'll go farther than that. It's always bothered me that speakers of
    > > European languages, including English but especially French, have seen
    > > fit to rename the cities and internal subdivisions of other countries.
    >
    > Rightly said!
    >
    > There is reason to rename "Colonia" to "Köln", "Augusta" to "Augsburg",
    > "Eboraco" to "York", "Provincia" to "Provence", and so on.

    I doubt Christians mean offence when they refer to Jesus through any of the
    countless transcriptions, spellings and pronunciations used in various
    languages. I think this is analogous to assuming that anyone dreaming of
    packing it all in and buying a villa in Provence similarly means no offence
    when expressing that desire in English ("Zapan" though would appear to be a
    different matter).

    --
    Jon Hanna                   | Toys and books
    <http://www.hackcraft.net/> | for hospitals: