Re: Stability of scientific names, was Stability of WG2

From: Alexander Savenkov (savenkov@xmlhack.ru)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 07:20:57 EST

    Hello,

    2003-12-17T11:06:32Z Curtis Clark <jcclark@mockfont.com> wrote:

    > on 2003-12-16 15:27 Peter Kirk wrote:

    >> I'm no expert on this...

    > I am. :-)

    >> but I thought that species could be transferred
    >> from genus to genus as knowledge advances.

    > As John pointed out, the epithet stays the same.

    >> And presumably obvious
    >> spelling mistakes are corrected (contrast "FHTORA" in U+1D0C5), or are
    >> you saying that if the first publication had "Brontosuarus" as a typo
    >> this error would remain for ever?

    > There are errors and then there are errors. Some are correctable, some
    > are not, and botanists and zoologists have different rules about this.
    > An example that's not entirely OT: There was a Russian physician with
    > the last name Ýøøîëö - a "cyrillicization" of his German family name

    He was Ýøøîëüö actually. You forgot the "soft sign".

    (I'm not sure everyone will see the name - the editor replaced the
    encoding with windows-1251, and there's no UTF-8 support).

    Regards,

    --
      Alexander Savenkov                            http://www.xmlhack.ru/
      savenkov@xmlhack.ru             http://www.xmlhack.ru/authors/croll/