Re: Stability of WG2

From: Christopher John Fynn (cfynn@gmx.net)
Date: Wed Dec 17 2003 - 23:06:59 EST

     "Jim Allan" <jallan@smrtytrek.com> wrote:

    > On the other hand, there is nothing to prevent the Unicode consortium or
    > any other body or any single person from creating a new *additional*
    > corrected set of names if the Unicode consortium or any other body or
    > any single person wishes to do so.
    >
    > That would just be an alternative list of character names.

    Of course anybody can make and use their own name list for their own purposes -
    getting a new alternative name list added to the standard is another issue.
    There is plenty of disagreement about what the "proper" name for many
    characters should be - which is probably one of the reasons for the rule that
    says once a name is assigned it cannot be changed.

    If this rule wasn't there, Unicode and WG2 would get a constant stream of
    proposals to "correct" the name of character U+XXXX - and then have to spend
    time on discussing such proposals and voting on them. I think members of UTC &
    WG2 have much more useful things to do with their time.

    - Chris